- the part of the hand consisting of the five bones between the wrist and the fingers
- the corresponding part of a land vertebrate's forelimb
Origin of metacarpusModern Latin altered ; from metacarpium ; from Classical Greek metakarpion ; from meta, meta- + karpion, diminutive of karpos: see carpus
- The part of the human hand that includes the five bones between the fingers and the wrist.
- The corresponding part of the forefoot of a quadruped.
- (anatomy) The five bones that form intermediate part of the hand between the fingers and the wrist.