- a situation in which a rapid rise in the power level of a nuclear reactor, as from a defect in the cooling system, results in the melting of the fuel rods and the release of dangerous radiation
- Informal a fundamental breakdown in a situation, condition, or system: a meltdown of the banking system
- When a nuclear reactor overheats, this is an example of a meltdown.
- When the currency of a country starts to lose value and the economy starts to fall apart, this is an example of a meltdown.
- When the stock market tumbles 1,000 points in a day, this is an example of a meltdown.
The definition of a meltdown is a situation where the fuel in a nuclear reactor overheats and causes the reactor core to melt, or a collapse of something.
- A severe overheating of a nuclear reactor core, resulting in melting of the core and escape of radiation.
- A disastrous situation; a failure or collapse: “No central bank or government institution existed … to halt the meltdown, to stop the sudden run on the banks” ( Evan I. Schwartz )
- Informal An emotional breakdown.
- Severe overheating of the core of a nuclear reactor resulting in the core melting and radiation escaping.
- Four years have passed since the meltdown at the Chernobyl nuclear plant, but the grim legacy of the Soviet catastrophe is still unfolding.
- A situation being likened to a nuclear meltdown; a crisis.
- Computer engineers were at a loss last night to explain why the Government had been hit by arguably the worst electronic meltdown in the history of Whitehall.
- (figuratively) A tantrum.
meltdown - Computer Definition
The total cessation of operation of a computer system or network. A system meltdown can be caused by hardware or software. A network meltdown can be caused by hardware, software or excessive traffic.
- Managing Family Meltdown: The Low Arousal Approach and Autism by Linda Woodcock and Andrea Page: This family coping book describes the reasons behind certain behaviors in autism such as tantrums and physical aggression.
- If you are in the middle of a rant about your child or estranged partner, either by yourself, in your head or with your best friend, take a deep breath and honestly ask yourself where the source of your meltdown lies.
- This rarely-discussed segment of the home loan industry suddenly began making international headline news as it took the blame for what may be the worst mortgage industry meltdown in history.
- For dads-to-be, you can choose from lighthearted fare like She's Having a Baby-and I'm Having a Meltdown or informational books like The Everything Father to Be Book.
- As the mortgage industry goes into a period of uncertainty following the mortgage meltdown of 2007, keeping up to date with trends in the home loan market will become increasingly important.