- An example of mechanics is the distance it takes for a car going 30mph to stop.
- An example of mechanics is the detailed process to get a person elected.
The definition of mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with how the action of force affects material bodies or the functional parts of an activity.
- the branch of physics that deals with the motion of material bodies and the phenomena of the action of forces on bodies
- theoretical and practical knowledge of the design, construction, operation, and care of machinery
Origin of mechanicssee mechanic
the mechanical aspect; technical part: the mechanics of writing
- (used with a sing. verb) The branch of physics that is concerned with the analysis of the action of forces on matter or material systems.
- (used with a sing. or pl. verb) Design, construction, and use of machinery or mechanical structures.
- (used with a pl. verb) The functional and technical aspects of an activity: The mechanics of football are learned with practice.
From Latin mechanicus, from Ancient Greek Î¼Î·Ï‡Î±Î½Î¹ÎºÏŒÏ‚ (mÄ“khanikos), from Î¼Î·Ï‡Î±Î½Î® (mÄ“khanÄ“, “machine, tool")