- A paste made of cumin and other ground spices is an example of masala.
- A chicken dinner made with masala spices is an example of masala.
- in Indian cuisine, any of various blends of ground spices
- a dish flavored with this: chicken masala
Origin of masalaHindi and Urdu, ingredients, spices
Origin of masalaHindi and Urdu ma&slowdot;ālih, masālā ingredients, mixture of spices from Persian masāleh from Arabic ma&slowdot;ālih pl. of ma&slowdot;laha benefit from &slowdot;alaha to be good &slowdot;lh
- The term is often used in the names of individual dishes.
Hindustani à¤®à¤¸à¤¾à¤²à¤¾ / Ù…Ø³Ø§Ù„Ø§ (masÄlÄ, “spice(s)"), from Persian Ù…ØµØ§Ù„Ø (maá¹£Älih, “affairs, materials, spices"), plural of Ù…ØµÙ„ØØª (maá¹£lahat, “affair, policy, best thing to do"), both from Arabic, derived from ØµÙ„Ø (á¹£Ã¡laá¸¥a, “be fit, competent, usable").