- The definition of mano a mano is a Spanish expression that is defined as hand to hand and is used to refer to a face-to-face confrontation between two people.
- An example of mano a mano is when two people have a fist fight and engage in hand-to-hand combat.
- An example of mano a mano is when two matadors take turns fighting bulls in the bullfight.
mano a mano definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- in or into direct, personal confrontation
- a duel or other confrontation between two individuals
Origin: Spanish literally , hand to hand
mano a mano definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. ma·nos a ma·nos
- A bullfight in which two rival matadors take turns fighting several bulls each.
- A face-to-face confrontation or competitive struggle: a mano a mano between the presidential candidates.
Being or suggestive of a face-to-face encounter or contest: a mano a mano duel between golf pros.adverb
In direct competition: an industry gearing up to go mano a mano with a rival.
Origin: Spanish : mano, hand + a, to.