- in the Chinese empire, a member of any of the nine ranks of high officials, each rank distinguished by a characteristic jeweled button worn on the cap
- a member of any elite group; leading intellectual, political figure, etc., sometimes one who is pompous, arbitrary, etc.
- the most widely spoken language of China, comprising a northern, an eastern, and a southwestern variety
- a small, sweet orange with loose rind
- the orange tree (Citrus reticulata) on which it grows
- a deep-orange color
Port mandarim, altered (infl. by mandar, to command < L mandare: see mandate) < Hindi mantrī, minister of state < Sans mantrin, counselor < mantár-, thinker < IE base *men-, to think > mind, Gr mentór, Sans mantra