Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- anything added to a scale to complete the required weight
- an unimportant person or thing added to make up some lack
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Something added on a scale in order to meet a required weight.
- Something added only to fill a lack.
- A counterweight; a counterbalance.