mainsail[mān′sāl′; naut., -səl]
mainsail definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- in a square-rigged vessel, the sail set from the main yard
- in a fore-and-aft-rigged vessel, the large sail set from the after side of the mainmast
mainsail definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The principal sail of a vessel.
- A quadrilateral or triangular sail set from the after part of the mainmast on a fore-and-aft rigged vessel.
- A square sail set from the main yard on a square-rigged vessel.