- a kind of engraving in which the effect is produced by lines of varying thickness and nearness to each other
- a plate engraved in this way
- a print from such a plate
- a. A metal plate, used in intaglio printing, on the surface of which design lines have been engraved by hand.b. The process of making such an engraving.c. A print made from such an engraving.
- See line cut.
(plural line engravings)
- Engraving in which the effects are produced by lines of different width and closeness, cut with the burin upon copper or similar material; also, a plate so engraved.
- A picture produced by printing from such an engraving.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Websterâ€™s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.