The definition of legitimize is to make something legal or to make it acceptable, permissible or correct.verb
When you make a previously forbidden behavior legal, this is an example of a time when you legitimize the behavior.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
transitive verb legitimized, legitimizing
- to make or declare legitimate; specif.,
- to make lawful; give legal force or status to
- to give official or formal sanction to; authorize
- to give the status of a legitimate child to (one born out of wedlock)
- to make seem just, right, or reasonable; justify
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
transitive verb le·git·i·mized