When you make a previously forbidden behavior legal, this is an example of a time when you legitimize the behavior.
- to make or declare legitimate; specif.,
- to make lawful; give legal force or status to
- to give official or formal sanction to; authorize
- to give the status of a legitimate child to (one born out of wedlock)
- to make seem just, right, or reasonable; justify
transitive verble·git·i·mized, le·git·i·miz·ing, le·git·i·miz·es
(third-person singular simple present legitimizes, present participle legitimizing, simple past and past participle legitimized)
- To make legitimate.
- Forms of legitimize ares about twice as common as forms of the verb legitimate in the US.
- Forms of legitimate are somewhat more common than the forms of the verbs legitimize and legitimise in the UK combined.