Variant of legitimate
- conceived or born of parents legally married to each other
- sanctioned by law or custom; lawful: a legitimate claim
- conforming to or abiding by the law
- ruling by the rights of heredity: a legitimate king
- reasonable; logically correct: a legitimate inference
- justifiable or justified
- conforming to or in accordance with established rules, standards, principles
- Theater designating or of professionally produced stage plays, as distinguished from films, vaudeville, etc.
Origin: ML legitimatus, past participle of legitimare, to make lawful from Classical Latin legitimus, lawful from lex: see legal
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.