- the act of sending a legate on a mission
- the mission
- a diplomatic minister and staff collectively, representing their government in a foreign country and ranking just below an embassy
- the residence or offices of such a legation
- the position or authority of such a legation
Origin of legationMiddle English legacion from Old French from Classical Latin legatio
- The act of sending a legate.
- a. A diplomatic mission in a foreign country ranking below an embassy.b. The diplomatic minister and staff of such a mission.c. The premises occupied by such a mission.
From Latin lÄ“gÄtiÅ.