mountain in NE Tanzania: highest mountain in Africa: 19,340 ft (5,895 m)
Unclear, but most likely from Swahili kilima (“hill”) + njaro.
- The Kilimanjaro region is said to enjoy immunity.
- Above the sea; it commands magnificent views of Kilimanjaro and Mt.
- West of Kilimanjaro is Mount Meru (14,955 ft.), another volcanic peak, with a double crater.
- South-east of Mount Kilimanjaro are the Pare Mountains and Usambara highlands, separated from the coast by a comparatively narrow strip of plain.
- North-west of Kilimanjaro is a sheet of water known as the Natron Lake from the mineral alkali it contains.