In 1733 George Stone was made dean of Ferns, and in the following year he exchanged this deanery for that of Derry; in 1740 he became bishop of Ferns, in 1743 bishop of Kildare, in 1745 bishop of Derry, and in 1747 archbishop of Armagh.
During the two years that he occupied the see of Kildare he was also dean of Christchurch, Dublin.
These two, afterwards joined by the primate's old rival Lord Shannon, and usually supported by the earl of Kildare, regained control of affairs in 1758, during the viceroyalty of the duke of Bedford.
Kildare, Ireland (County) >>
His grandfather was a small farmer in county Kildare, and his mother was the daughter of a captain in the merchant service.