- Karyotype is defined as the general appearance of chromosomes.
An example of karyotype is the size, number and shape of chromosomes in a person's body.
- The characterization of the chromosomal complement of an individual or a species, including number, form, and size of the chromosomes.
- A photomicrograph of chromosomes arranged according to a standard classification.
transitive verbkar·y·o·typed, kar·y·o·typ·ing, kar·y·o·types
- kar′y·o·typ′ic , kar′y·o·typ′i·cal
(third-person singular simple present karyotypes, present participle karyotyping, simple past and past participle karyotyped)
- To investigate or record such characteristics
From Russian кариотип (kariotip), corresponding to karyo- + -type.