- the portion of the Japanese writing system whose characters are based on Chinese ideographs
- pl. -·ji any of these characters
Origin of kanjiJapanese from kan, Chinese + ji, character, letter
nounpl. kanji, or kan·jis
- A Japanese system of writing based on borrowed or modified Chinese characters.
- A character used in this system of writing.
Origin of kanjiJapanese kan Chinese ( from Middle Chinese xan` ); see Han 1. ji character ( from Middle Chinese dz&istroke;h ) ( also the source of Mandarin jì ) ( and akin to Mandarin z&icaron; child, since certain characters were said to be derived from simpler characters ) ( and ultimately derived from Proto-Sino-Tibetan tsa child ) (Tibetan tsha grandchild )
- Alternative capitalization of kanji.