- the portion of the Japanese writing system whose characters are based on Chinese ideographs
- pl. -·ji any of these characters
Origin of kanjiJapanese ; from kan, Chinese + ji, character, letter
nounpl. kanji or kan·jis
- A Japanese system of writing based on borrowed or modified Chinese characters.
- A character used in this system of writing.
Origin of kanjiJapanese : kan, Chinese (from Middle Chinese xan`); see Han1 + ji, character (from Middle Chinese dz&istroke;h; also the source of Mandarin jì and akin to Mandarin z&icaron;, child, since certain characters were said to be derived from simpler characters, and ultimately derived from Proto-Sino-Tibetan *tsa, child; akin to Tibetan tsha, grandchild).
- Alternative capitalization of kanji.