a peasant or farm worker, esp. in Puerto Rico
Origin of jíbaroAmerican Spanish
- A rural inhabitant of Puerto Rico.
- The country music of Puerto Rico.
Origin of jibaroPuerto Rican Spanish jíbaro from American Spanish jíbaro member of the Jibaro people of South America (noted for their resistance to colonial rule) ; see Jibaro .
nounpl. Jibaro, or Ji·ba·ros
- A member of a South American Indian people of eastern Ecuador and northeast Peru.
- The language of the Jibaro, of no known linguistic affiliation. Also called In both senses also called Shuar .
Origin of JibaroAmerican Spanish Jíbaro from earlier Xívaro from Jibaro shuar indigenous people
(countable and uncountable, plural jibaros)
- A style of country music from Puerto Rico
- A peasant from Puerto Rico