- a member of the Society of Jesus, a Roman Catholic religious order for men, founded by Ignatius Loyola in 1534
- a crafty schemer; cunning dissembler: hostile term, as used by anti-Jesuits and anti-Catholics
Origin of JesuitModern Latin Jesuita ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin Iesus, Jesus + -ita, -ite
- Roman Catholic Church A member of the Society of Jesus.
- often jesuit One given to subtle casuistry.
Origin of JesuitFrench Jésuite, from Jésus, Jesus, from Late Latin I&emacron;sus; see Jesus1.
- (Christianity, chiefly Roman Catholicism) a member of the Society of Jesus
- of, relating to, or characteristic of this society or its members