Ivory CoastI·vo·ry Coast
- country in WC Africa, on the Gulf of Guinea, west of Ghana: formerly a French territory, it became independent in 1960: 124,503 sq mi (322,460 sq km); cap. Yamoussoukro
- Historical the African coast in this region
- See Côte d'Ivoire.
- A section of coastal western Africa along the Gulf of Guinea roughly corresponding to present-day Côte d'Ivoire. It was named for the large quantities of ivory traded there in precolonial times.
- A country in Western Africa. Official name: Republic of Côte d'Ivoire or Côte d'Ivoire.
- See usage notes at Côte d'Ivoire.