- [usuallyI-]Historical any member of an Italian political party, organized in 1878, seeking to recover for Italy adjacent regions inhabited largely by Italians but under foreign control
- any person who advocates a similar policy about territory formerly a part of that person's country
Origin of irredentistItalian irredentista from (Italia) irredenta, unredeemed (Italy) from Classical Latin in-, not + redemptus: see redemption
One who advocates the recovery of territory culturally or historically related to one's nation but now subject to a foreign government.
Origin of irredentistItalian irredentista from (Italia) irredenta unredeemed (Italy), Italian-speaking areas subject to other countries ; see irredenta .
- Someone who calls for the seizure or recovery of territories or states currently subject to other countries; an adherent of irredentism.
(comparative more irredentist, superlative most irredentist)
- Of or relating to irredentists or their policies.
- A member or supporter of the Italian party after 1878 which called for the recovery of all Italian-speaking territories subject to other countries.