- Present participle of intermediate.
Variant of intermediate
- being or happening between two things, places, stages, etc.; in the middle
- designating or of an automobile larger than a compact but smaller than the standard size
Origin of intermediateMedieval Latin intermediatus ; from Classical Latin intermedius ; from inter-, between + medius, middle: see mid
- anything intermediate
- an intermediate automobile
- Chem. a substance obtained as a necessary intermediate stage between the original material and the final product