Variant of hypostasis
- the masking or suppression of a gene by another gene that is not its allele
- a deposit or sediment
- a settling of blood in the lower parts of the body as a result of a slowing down of the blood flow
- Philos. the underlying, essential nature of a thing
- Christian Theol.
- the unique nature of the one God
- any of the three persons of the Trinity, each person having the divine nature fully and equally
- the union of the wholly divine nature and of a wholly human nature in the one person of Jesus Christin full hypostatic union
Origin: Gr, a supporting, foundation from hyphistanai, to set under, pass, stand under from hypo-, under (see hypo-) plush histanai, to stand, cause to stand
- hypostatic adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.