- the writing of history
- history (sense ); specif., the study of the techniques of historical research and historical writing, the methods of major historians, etc.
- a body of historical writing
See historiography in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- The principles, theories, or methodology of scholarly historical research and presentation.
- The writing of history based on a critical analysis, evaluation, and selection of authentic source materials and composition of these materials into a narrative subject to scholarly methods of criticism.
- A body of historical literature.
Origin: French historiographie
Origin: , from Old French
Origin: , from Greek historiographiā
Origin: : historiā, history; see history
Origin: + -graphiā, -graphy
- his·toˌri·o·graphˈic (-ē-ə-grăfˈĭk), his·toˌri·o·graphˈi·cal (-ĭ-kəl) adjective
- his·toˌri·o·graphˈi·cal·ly adverb
Learn more about historiography