- the writing of history
- history (sense ); specif., the study of the techniques of historical research and historical writing, the methods of major historians, etc.
- a body of historical writing
- The principles, theories, or methodology of scholarly historical research and presentation.
- The writing of history based on a critical analysis, evaluation, and selection of authentic source materials and composition of these materials into a narrative subject to scholarly methods of criticism.
- A body of historical literature.
Origin of historiographyFrench historiographie, from Old French, from Greek historiographia : historia, history; see history + -graphia, -graphy.
- his·to′ri·o·graph′ic , his·to′ri·o·graph′i·cal
(countable and uncountable, plural historiographies)
history + -ography