- Hip-hop is defined as a type of music that is influenced by rap and funk, often including melody and rhythm of previously recorded songs.
An example of hip-hop is Snoop Dogg's music.
- The definition of hip-hop is urban culture or fashion associated with hip-hop music.
An example of hip-hop is wearing sagging jeans with sneakers.
- a form of popular music that originated among inner-city African-American youths in the 1980s, drawing on rap, funk, street sounds, and fragments of melody and rhythm borrowed from previously recorded sources
- the culture or a fashion, dance, etc. associated with this music
Origin: orig. uncertain
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
or hip hopnoun
- A popular urban youth culture, closely associated with rap music and with the style and fashions of African-American inner-city residents.
- Rap music.
Origin: Probably hip2 + hop1.
hip-hop - Cultural Definition
Another name for rap music.
- The term hip-hop also refers to the speech, fashions, and personal style adopted by many youths, particularly in urban areas.