- Alternation of sexual and parthenogenic generations, as in some aphids.
- The state or condition in which conjugating gametes are dissimilar in structure and size as well as in function.
- hetˌer·o·gamˈic adjective
heterogamy - Medical Definition
heterogamy - Science Definition
- Alternation of sexual and parthenogenetic generations, as in the life cycles of some aphids.
- A reproductive system that is characterized by the fusion of gametes (called heterogametes) that are dissimilar in size and structure, such as the egg and sperm of animals.
- heterogamous heterogamous adjective
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Variant of heterogamous
- characterized by the uniting of heterogametes
- characterized by reproduction in which sexual and asexual generations alternate
- bearing flowers that are sexually different
- heterogamy noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.