herringbone definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the spine of a herring, having numerous thin, parallel bony extensions on each side similar to the barbs of a feather
- a pattern with such a design or anything having such a pattern, as a kind of cross-stitch, a twill weave, or an arrangement of bricks
- a method of climbing a slope on skis with the ski tips turned outward so that the tracks form a herringbone pattern
having the pattern of a herringbone
herringbone definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A pattern consisting of rows of short, slanted parallel lines with the direction of the slant alternating row by row and used in masonry, parquetry, embroidery, and weaving.b. A twilled fabric woven in this pattern.
- Sports A method of climbing a ski slope with the tips of the skis pointed outward.
To arrange or decorate with a herringbone pattern.verb, intransitive
- To produce a herringbone pattern.
- Sports To ascend a ski slope with the ski tips pointed outward.