- the spine of a herring, having numerous thin, parallel bony extensions on each side similar to the barbs of a feather
- a pattern with such a design or anything having such a pattern, as a kind of cross-stitch, a twill weave, or an arrangement of bricks
- a method of climbing a slope on skis with the ski tips turned outward so that the tracks form a herringbone pattern
having the pattern of a herringbone
transitive verb-·boned·, -·bon·ing
- to stitch, weave, or arrange in a herringbone pattern
- to climb (a slope) on skis, using the herringbone method
- a. A pattern consisting of rows of short, slanted parallel lines with the direction of the slant alternating row by row and used in masonry, parquetry, embroidery, and weaving.b. A twilled fabric woven in this pattern.
- Sports A method of climbing a ski slope with the tips of the skis pointed outward.
verbher·ring·boned, her·ring·bon·ing, her·ring·bones
To arrange or decorate with a herringbone pattern.
- To produce a herringbone pattern.
- Sports To ascend a ski slope with the ski tips pointed outward.