heart failureheart failure
- the failure of the heart to beat or to pump blood
- the inability of the heart to pump enough blood to maintain an adequate flow to and from the bodily tissues
- Cessation of normal heart function.
- A condition marked by congestion in the lungs, shortness of breath, edema in the lower extremities, and enlargement of the liver, caused by the inability of the heart to pump blood at an adequate rate to the peripheral tissues and the lungs. Also called congestive heart failure.
- Alternative form of heart failure.