transitive verb guided, guiding
- to point out the way for; direct on a course; conduct; lead
- to direct the course or motion of (a vehicle, implement, etc.) by physical action
- to give instruction to; train
- to direct (the policies, actions, etc.) of; manage; regulate
ME giden < OFr guider < guide < It guida < Goth *wida, leader, guide < *witan, to observe, akin to OE witan, to see: see wise
a person or thing that guides; specif.,
- a person whose work is conducting strangers or tourists through a region, building, etc.
- a person who directs, or serves as the model for, another's conduct, career, etc.
- a part that controls the motion of other parts of a machine
- a guidebook
- a book giving instruction in the elements of some subject; handbook: a guide to mathematics
- Mil. a soldier at the right front of a column, who regulates its pace and alignment and indicates its route