- a fish that lives close to the bottom of the water
- an animal that lives on or in the ground
- a plant that grows close to the ground
- in an Elizabethan theater, a person who watched the performance from cheap standing room in the pit
- a person lacking critical ability or taste
- A bottom fish.
- a. A spectator in the cheap standing-room section of an Elizabethan theater.b. A person with uncultivated tastes.
- Any of various plants or animals living on or near the ground, as a benthic fish or bottom feeder, especially
- The spined loach, Cobitis taenia, or other loaches.
- The ringed plover, Charadrius hiaticula.
- by association, an individual of uncultivated or uncultured taste
- in Elizabethan theater: an audience member (usually standing) in the cheap section