grave accentgrave accent
a mark (`) used to indicate:
- the quality or length of a vowel, as in French chère
- in French, a distinction in meaning, as in où, “where” and ou, “or”
- secondary stress as in týpewrìter
- full pronunciation of a syllable normally elided in speech, as in lovèd
- A mark (&thin;`&thin;) indicating a pronounced e for the sake of meter in the usually nonsyllabic ending -ed in English poetry.
- A similar mark used in various languages as an indication of vowel quality or quantity.
- A similar mark used, as in transliteration of Chinese, to indicate that a syllable has a falling pitch.
(plural grave accents)
- accent grave