Gorgonian[gôr gō′nē ən]
Origin of gorgonianModern Latin Gorgonia, name of the genus ; from Classical Latin coral (; from Gorgo, Gorgon) + -an
Origin of gorgonianFrom Latin gorgonia, coral, from Gorgō, Gorgon-, Gorgon; see gorgon .
common sea fan
- (biology) Any coral of the order Gorgonacea.
(comparative more gorgonian, superlative most gorgonian)
- Of or relating to the Gorgons.
- Terrible or repulsive.
- (biology) Of or relating to any coral of the order Gorgonacea.
Variant of Gorgon
- Gr. Myth. any of three sisters with snakes for hair, so horrible that the beholder is turned to stone
- any ugly, terrifying, or repulsive woman
Origin of GorgonMiddle English ; from Classical Latin Gorgo (gen. Gorgonis) ; from Classical Greek Gorgō ; from gorgos, terrible, fierce