- Genuflect is defined as to bend at the knee, or to touch one knee to the ground, especially in a respectful or religious way.
An example of genuflect is to kneel before the tabernacle at church.
A woman genuflects in church.
genuflect definition by Webster's New World
- to bend the knee, as in reverence or worship
- to act in a submissive or servile way
Origin: Ecclesiastical Medieval Latin genuflectere ; from Classical Latin genu, knee plush flectere, to bend: see flex
- genuflection noun
genuflect definition by American Heritage Dictionary
intransitive verb gen·u·flect·ed, gen·u·flect·ing, gen·u·flects
- To bend the knee or touch one knee to the floor or ground, as in worship.
- To be servilely respectful or deferential; grovel.
Origin: Late Latin genūflectere : Latin genū, knee; see genu-1 in Indo-European roots + Latin flectere, to bend.
- genˌu·flecˈtion noun