Free of explicit or implicit reference to gender or sex, as is the term police officer (instead of policewoman or policeman) or the term crewed (instead of manned).
(comparative more genderneutral, superlative most genderneutral)
- Alternative spelling of gender-neutral.
(comparative more gender-neutral, superlative most gender-neutral)
- Applicable or available to either gender (to both males and females).
- The women's sleeping quarters are on the left side of the dormitory, the men's are on the right; gender-neutral restrooms are located in the middle.
- Many modern laws use gender-neutral constructions like "he or she" in place of the old, supposedly unmarked "he".
- Not indicating or restricted by gender, and thus applicable or available to those of any gender and to those of no gender.
- Gender-neutral pronouns like "ey" and "ze" are used by many genderqueer, intersex, and neutrois individuals.
- (grammar) In languages where words are assigned to one gender or another, lacking such an assignment.