Free of explicit or implicit reference to gender or sex, as is the term police officer (instead of policewoman or policeman ) or the term crewed (instead of manned ).
(comparative more genderneutral, superlative most genderneutral)
- Alternative spelling of gender-neutral.
(comparative more gender-neutral, superlative most gender-neutral)
- Applicable or available to either gender (to both males and females).
- The women's sleeping quarters are on the left side of the dormitory, the men's are on the right; gender-neutral restrooms are located in the middle.
- Many modern laws use gender-neutral constructions like "he or she" in place of the old, supposedly unmarked "he".
- Not indicating or restricted by gender, and thus applicable or available to those of any gender and to those of no gender.
- Gender-neutral pronouns like "ey" and "ze" are used by many genderqueer, intersex, and neutrois individuals.
- (grammar) In languages where words are assigned to one gender or another, lacking such an assignment.