- The definition of a gelding is a castrated horse.
A male horse that has had his testicles removed is an example of a gelding.
- a gelded animal; esp., a castrated male horse
- Archaic a eunuch
Origin of geldingMiddle English ; from Old Norse geldingr: see geld + -ing
Origin of geldingMiddle English, from Old Norse geldingr, from gelda, to geld.
- Present participle of geld.
From Old Norse geldingr, from gelda (“to castrate”), whence also English geld (Etymology 2).
Variant of geld
transitive verbgelded or gelt, gelding
- to castrate (esp. a horse)
- to deprive of anything essential; weaken
Origin of geldMiddle English gelden ; from Old Norse gelda, to castrate ; from geldr, barren ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ĝhel-, to cut from source Old Welsh gylym, knife, Old Norse gylta, sow, Gothic giltha, scythe