- Gam is defined as a slang for a leg.
An example of a gam is a sexy leg in an advertisement for hosiery.
- The definition of a gam is a conversation among fisherman or a group of whales.
- An example of a gam is a chat on the radios of two whaling boats.
- An example of a gam is a family of Baline whales.
A pair of gams in black hose.
- a social visit
- a social visit or conversation between the crews of ships, esp. whaling ships, at sea
- a school of whales
Origin of gamprobably ; from Scandinavian as in Norwegian Swedish dialect, dialectal gams, loose conversation ; from Old Norse gems, akin to game
Origin of gamvariant, variety of gamb
- A social visit or friendly interchange, especially between whalers or seafarers.
- A herd of whales or a social congregation of whalers, especially at sea.
verbgammed gammed, gam·ming, gams
- To visit with.
- To spend (time) talking or visiting.
Origin of gamPerhaps short for gammon2 or variant of game1.
Origin of gamProbably from Polari, from Italian gamba, from Late Latin, hoof; see gambol.
- (slang) A person's leg.
(third-person singular simple present gams, present participle gamming, simple past and past participle gammed)
- (nautical) To make a social visit on another ship at sea.
- (Ireland) Alternative spelling of gom. A silly, foolish person.
From the Irish gámaí meaning "booby", "dolt".