- Gam is defined as a slang for a leg.
An example of a gam is a sexy leg in an advertisement for hosiery.
- The definition of a gam is a conversation among fisherman or a group of whales.
- An example of a gam is a chat on the radios of two whaling boats.
- An example of a gam is a family of Baline whales.
A pair of gams in black hose.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a social visit
- a social visit or conversation between the crews of ships, esp. whaling ships, at sea
- a school of whales
Origin: prob. from Scand, as inch(es) Norw, Swedish dialect, dialectal gams, loose conversation from Old Norse gems, akin to game
Origin: var. of gamb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A social visit or friendly interchange, especially between whalers or seafarers.
- A herd of whales or a social congregation of whalers, especially at sea. See Synonyms at flock1.
- To visit with.
- To spend (time) talking or visiting.
Origin: Perhaps short for gammon2 or variant of game1.
Origin: Probably from Polari (theatrical argot), from Italian gamba, from Late Latin, hoof; see gambol.