- The definition of gaging is staking or waging something.
An example of gaging is betting against a certain boxer in a match.
- Gaging is defined as estimating an amount of something or how long something will take.
An example of gaging is guessing how long it will take to get from one place to another.
- Present participle of gage.
Variant of gage
- something deposited or pledged to ensure that an obligation will be fulfilled; security
- a pledge to appear and fight, as a glove thrown down by a knight challenging another
- a challenge
Origin of gageMiddle English ; from Old French a pledge, pawn ; from (? via Medieval Latin wagium) Frankish an unverified form waddi or Gothic wadi, pledge ; from Indo-European base an unverified form wadh-: see wed