- An example of frontline is a row of soldiers first in line for battle; frontline soldiers.
- An example of frontline is a leading player on a sports team; frontline pitcher.
nounalso front line
- A front or boundary, especially one between military, political, or ideological positions.
- Basketball See frontcourt.
- Football The linemen of a team.
- Sports The players who play farthest forward, as in volleyball.
- Located or used at a military front.
- Of or relating to the most advanced or important position or activity in a field or undertaking: “elicited candid revelations from many of the front-line executives &ellipsis; and doggedly followed the money trail down all its byways” (Steve Fraser).
- Sports a. Of or relating to the frontline.b. Being a member of the regular team; first-string: a team in need of a frontline catcher.
- Performing the most basic tasks or interacting directly with customers, patients, or clients: a frontline caregiver; frontline caseworkers.
- Alternative spelling of front line.