- the title character in a novel (1818) by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley: he is a young medical student who creates a monster that destroys him
- popularly Frankenstein's monster
- any person destroyed by his or her own creation
- anything that becomes dangerous to its creator
- An agency or creation that slips from the control of and ultimately destroys its creator: “How can we keep the government we create from becoming a Frankenstein that will destroy the very freedom we establish it to protect?” ( Milton Friedman )
- A monster having the appearance of a man.
Origin of FrankensteinFrom Frankenstein the creator of the artificial monster in Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
- A novel by Mary Shelley.
- The creator of Frankenstein's monster in Mary Shelley's novel Frankenstein, or the Modern Prometheus.
- Frankenstein's monster itself.