Formally is defined as done in a socially-accepted and orderly way.
An example of formally is a man asking his girlfriend's father for permission to ask his daughter to marry him.
- in a formal manner
- with regard to form
Origin of formallyMiddle English formali, formeliche
(comparative more formally, superlative most formally)
- In a formal manner.
- He dressed quite formally - too formally for the occasion.
- In accordance with official procedure.
- He formally filed a complaint, which involved much paperwork.
- In accordance with rigorous rules.
- He proved it formally but gave his students no intuitive feel for the matter.
formal + -ly