Variant of fog
- a large mass of water vapor condensed to fine particles, at or just above the earth's surface; thick, obscuring mist
- a similar mass of smoke, dust, etc. obscuring the atmosphere
- a vaporized liquid, as insecticide, dispersed over a large area
- a state of mental dimness and confusion; blurred, bewildered state
- a grayish area on a photograph or film
Origin: prob. < Scand, as in ON fok, Dan (sne)fog, driving snow, Norw dial. fuka, sea mist < IE base *pū-, to puff up, blow, of echoic orig.
- to become surrounded or covered by fog
- to be or become blurred, dimmed, or obscured
- to surround or cover with fog
- to blur; dim; obscure
- to confuse; bewilder
- Slang to hurl (a baseball, etc.)
- to make (a photograph, etc.) grayish in certain areas
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.