fluorescence definition by Webster's New World
- the property of a substance, such as fluorite, of producing light while it is being acted upon by ultraviolet rays, X-rays, or other forms of radiant energy
- the production of such light
- light so produced
Origin of fluorescence; from fluor(spar) + -escence
fluorescence definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The emission of electromagnetic radiation, especially of visible light, stimulated in a substance by the absorption of incident radiation and persisting only as long as the stimulating radiation is continued.
- The property of emitting such radiation.
- The radiation so emitted.
Origin of fluorescencefluor(spar) + –escence.
fluorescence definition by Wiktionary
(countable and uncountable, plural fluorescences)
fluorescence - Computer Definition
The emission of light from a material when subject to photons of another wavelength. A fluorescent object often emits visible light when it receives ultraviolet light. Fluorescence also occurs in nature; for example, fireflies and certain deep sea fish have fluorescent qualities. See fluorescent bulb.