- a small fleet
- a fleet of boats or small ships
- ⌂ U.S. Navy a unit consisting of two or more squadrons of destroyers or smaller vessels
Origin of flotillaSp, diminutive of flota, a fleet ; from Old French flote ; from Old Norse floti ; from Germanic an unverified form flutan: for Indo-European base see flow
- a. A small fleet.b. A fleet of small craft.
- A naval unit consisting of two or more squadrons of small warships.
- Informal A group of vehicles owned or operated as a unit: a flotilla of limousines.
Origin of flotillaSpanish, diminutive of flota, fleet, from Old French flote, from Old Norse floti; see pleu- in Indo-European roots.