- a person born or living in Flanders
- a Belgian who speaks Flemish
Origin of FlemingMiddle English from Old Frisian or Middle Dutch Vlaming
- 1881-1955; Brit. bacteriologist: discovered penicillin together with Sir Howard Walter Florey
- 1908-64; Brit. writer, esp. of the James Bond stories
- A native or inhabitant of the historical region of Flanders or of the region of Flanders in northern Belgium.
- A Belgian who is a native speaker of Flemish.
Origin of FlemingMiddle English from Middle Dutch Vlāming
Middle English flameng, from late Old English Flæmingi, from Old Norse Flǽmingr, from Middle Dutch Vlaminc, Vleminc, from Old Frisian (unattested) (cf. West Frisian Flaming), from Proto-Germanic *flaumaz ‘flowing, current (water)’ and the patronymic suffix -ing ‘belonging to, descended from’. More at Flanders.