- a spinning into threads
- a reeling of raw silk from cocoons
- a reel for this
- a place where this is done
Origin of filatureFrench from past participle of Late Latin filare, to spin: see file
- The act or process of spinning, drawing, or twisting into threads.
- The act or process of reeling raw silk from cocoons.
- A reel used in drawing silk from cocoons.
- An establishment where silk is reeled.
Origin of filatureFrench from Late Latin fīlātus past participle of fīlāre to spin ; see filament .