Variant of ferry
- to take (people, cars, etc.) across a river or narrow body of water in a boat, raft, etc.
- to cross (a river, etc.) on a ferry
- to deliver (airplanes) by flying to the destination
- to transport by airplane
Origin: ME ferien < OE ferian, to carry, convey, esp. by water, caus. of faran, to go: see fare
noun pl. ferries
- a system for carrying people, cars, or goods across a river, etc. by boat
- a boat used for this
- the place where a ferry docks on either shore
- the legal right to transport by ferry for a fee
- the delivery of airplanes to their destination by flying them
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.