- Feminism is defined as a movement for equal rights for women.
The women who fought to have the right to vote, called Suffragettes, are an early example of feminism.
feminism definition by Webster's New World
- Rare feminine qualities
- the principle that women should have political, economic, and social rights equal to those of men
- the movement to win such rights for women
Origin: ; from Classical Latin femina, woman plush -ism
- feminist noun, adjective
feminism definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.
- The movement organized around this belief.
feminism - Cultural Definition
A movement for granting women political, social, and economic equality with men. (See women's movement.)
The doctrine — and the political movement based on it — that women should have the same economic, social, and political rights as men. (See under “Anthropology, Psychology, and Sociology.”)