- of or formed by a compact; specif., designating or of a union of states, groups, etc. in which each member agrees to subordinate its governmental power to that of the central authority in certain specified common affairs
- designating, of, or having to do with a central authority or government in such a union
- ☆ designating, of, or having to do with the central government of the U.S.
- ☆ of or supporting the Federalist Party or its principle of strong centralized government
- ☆ of or pertaining to the style in architecture and furniture based on classical Roman models that flourished in the U.S. from 1780 into the 1830s
- ☆ of or supporting the government of the U.S. in the Civil War; Union; pro-Union
< L foedus (gen. foederis), a league, compact, treaty: see faith & -al