- The definition of extraordinaire is someone who is out-of-the-ordinary and extremely skilled in a particular field.
The best chef in the entire world is an example of someone who would be described as a chef extraordinaire.
extraordinary: used after the noun
Origin of extraordinaireFrench
Extraordinary: a jazz singer extraordinaire.
Origin of extraordinaireFrench, from Old French, from Latin extraōrdinārius; see extraordinary.
- Extraordinary; particularly skilled.
- He was a dancer extraordinaire.
- Following the manner of French adjectives, and unlike most English adjectives, extraordinaire follows its subject.
- Charlie Parker, saxophonist extraordinaire, released many records.