- Ethnocentrism is defined as a belief in the superiority of your own ethnic group.
The belief that your own ethnic group is smarter than all other ethnic groups is an example of ethnocentrism.
Origin: ethno- plush centr(o)- plush -ism
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Belief in the superiority of one's own ethnic group.
- Overriding concern with race.
- ethˌno·cenˈtric adjective
- ethˌno·cenˈtri·cal·ly adverb
- ethˌno·cen·tricˈi·ty noun
ethnocentrism - Cultural Definition
The belief that one's own culture is superior to all others and is the standard by which all other cultures should be measured.
- Early social scientists in the nineteenth century operated from an ethnocentric point of view. So-called primitive tribes, for example, were studied by anthropologists to illustrate how human civilization had progressed from “savage” customs toward the accomplishments of Western industrial society.
ethnocentrism - Medical Definition
- ethnocentric adjective
- ethnocentricity noun