- Ethnocentrism is defined as a belief in the superiority of your own ethnic group.
The belief that your own ethnic group is smarter than all other ethnic groups is an example of ethnocentrism.
ethnocentrism definition by Webster's New World
Origin: ethno- plush centr(o)- plush -ism
ethnocentrism definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Belief in the superiority of one's own ethnic group.
- Overriding concern with race.
- ethˌno·cenˈtric adjective
- ethˌno·cenˈtri·cal·ly adverb
- ethˌno·cen·tricˈi·ty noun
ethnocentrism - Cultural Definition
The belief that one's own culture is superior to all others and is the standard by which all other cultures should be measured.
- Early social scientists in the nineteenth century operated from an ethnocentric point of view. So-called primitive tribes, for example, were studied by anthropologists to illustrate how human civilization had progressed from “savage” customs toward the accomplishments of Western industrial society.
ethnocentrism - Medical Definition
- ethnocentric adjective
- ethnocentricity noun