Vines growing on an espalier.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a lattice or trellis on which trees and shrubs are trained to grow flat
- a plant, tree, etc. so trained
Origin: French ; from Italian spalliera, support for the shoulders ; from spalla, the shoulder ; from Classical Latin spatula: see spatula
- to train as or on an espalier
- to provide with an espalier
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A tree or shrub that is trained to grow in a flat plane against a wall, often in a symmetrical pattern.
- A trellis or other framework on which an espalier is grown.
- To train as or on an espalier.
- To provide with an espalier.
Origin: French, from Italian spalliera, shoulder support, from spalla, shoulder, from Late Latin spatula, shoulder blade, from Latin; see spatula.